Post 3: ASA BCAP Code

I researched the ASA so I was able to understand what is acceptable and what is not in adverts. This is important because if I didn't adhere to the regulations I might have put something into my advert that is not allowed, meaning that my advert would not be allowed to be broadcast on live TV.

The BCAP code is an advertising code with 32 sections. These apply to all advertisements and sponsored programmes on any radio and television service licensed by Ofcom.

The most relevant points from the BCAP code in relation to my advert are:
-Adverts can't make claims that they can't prove/don't have the evidence to prove
-The advert needs to be easily recognisable as an advert
-Must not feature or imply social irresponsibility or underage drinking
-Must not have misleading marketing, however you are allowed extremely obvious exaggerations
-Must not have epileptic material or excessive noise
-Content must be age related - video games must be suitable for the age watching (this was an important point for me as I have a character playing video games as part of the narrative)
-Cannot hide important information
-No excessive eating, or promoting of an unhealthy lifestyle - must be responsible


Examples of banned adverts:


KFC - Advert banned for promoting bad manners to children. The advert contained people speaking with their mouths full.

Skittles - Advert banned for using sexually inappropriate material. 

This research was very beneficial to my project as it taught me things that I could and couldn't include in my advert - which was crucial when planning the narratives and during filming. As I was creating adverts for the food industry I was particularly mindful of the last point in my summary of the BCAP code: No excessive eating, or promoting of an unhealthy lifestyle - must be responsible. An example of this is in the scene of a boy playing a video game. Originally I planned to show the game itself, but after researching I discovered that it would fit in with the ASA guidelines if I didn't show the game itself, just images of the boy playing and the sound effects.

Below are links to relevant sites I have used to research this post.

Comments

Popular Posts