Post 2: Channel 4

I researched channel 4 to discover what sort of TV channel my advert will be played on, I also researched it to find how what programmes my advert would be between. Researching this would help me to tailor my advert to channel 4. I researched on the Channel 4 website, Wikipedia and the TV Guide.

My adverts for YOUR FOOD will be broadcast on Channel 4, a television channel that began transmission on 2nd November 1982. It is a public service broadcaster (and is therefore regulated by OFCOM), owned by Channel 4 TV company whose parent company is the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. It is, however, largely commercially funded, creating revenue through the advertising space that it sells.

At the time of research this was the TV Guide for a week.



Channel 4 and its sister stations (for example E4 and More4) produce and broadcast television shows aimed at a broad audience but the network has a reputation for showing controversial content or shows which push boundaries that are likely to appeal to a relatively young demographic. Famous shows that fit this description include The Tube, The Last Leg, The Undateables, The Inbetweeners and Phoneshop. The channel is also known for producing and/or broadcasting a number of reality TV shows, such as Big Brother and Come Dine with Me. The concept of food delivery services targets the same 16-25 audience that these shows and much of Channel 4's content would appeal to.


Channel 4 are seen to champion unheard voices, promoting diversity. The company is known for taking risks, being innovative and bold and has arguably changed the way that consumers lead their lives (a good example is the station's decision to show the London Paralympics).

As a commercial TV station with a young demographic for much of its schedule, Channel 4 would be the ideal station to advertise food delivery services which target the same audience. This research has benefited my planning for my project as it has given me a better appreciation of my target audience and has made me consider how I could incorporate some of the station's key core values into representations in my adverts.

Below are links to the websites I looked at to gather information for this post:

Comments

Popular Posts