Post 18: My Target Audience Feedback


I felt that the most appropriate way to get audience feedback, considering the timeframe available, was to conduct a focus group with a number of consumers within my target audience's age range.

I gathered together five people aged between 16-25 (a mixture of family and friends, and consumers from both genders) and asked a series of questions related to my finished adverts. I allowed the focus group to discuss and debate the responses and made notes on the most important points made. The focus group took place at my house during the Christmas holidays as this was a time when I was able to get the relevant people together.

The questions I asked were as follows:
  • Is it clear what type of product is being advertised?
  • How does the advert make the service seem appealing?
  • Can you tell what the USP is?
  • Would you order from Your Food based on the adverts?
  • Was there consistency/unity across both adverts?
  • Do you feel that the adverts were well constructed?
  • Have you any suggestions about how the adverts could be improved?
All of my focus group felt that it was clear that the adverts were for a food delivery service - suggesting that they incorporated conventions of existing adverts for the same service such as a delivery guy arriving, food being eaten and customers on their phones ordering food.

Most of my focus group thought that the adverts were appealing because they featured people similar in age to themselves and the fact that the food was delivered on time. They also felt that some of the scenarios in the adverts' narratives were ones they could relate to. One member of the focus group felt that the adverts weren't appealing because they didn't have the same kind of engaging visuals that are found in existing adverts for the same kind of service.

All of the members felt that the USP completely clear - particularly through the use of the tagline 'On Time. Any Time. Every Time.' This was most pleasing as key to my adverts' success was getting the message of the USP across.

All of my focus group said that they would order from Your Food, especially if the company could live up to the promise of ensuring that the food arrived on time. They also felt that it was clear that the adverts were advertising the same service, through the use of the same music, taglines and narrative structure.

Most of the members were impressed with the way that the adverts had been put together and that they looked realistic (apart from the fact that they recognised some of the actors). One member of the focus group commented on the 'professional feel of the editing' though one was critical of what they called 'poor lighting' in some of the scenes.

Clearly, some of the comments highlighted improvements could be made and if I had the opportunity to do this project again I would think more carefully about lighting and also ways that I could incorporate some visual effects.

Comments

Popular Posts