Post 4: Target Audience - Males/Females Aged 16-25


The target audience for my adverts is pre-defined by the exam board, with the brief stating that the adverts should appeal to males and females aged between 16-25.


My starting point for research into this demographic came from reading an article in the Guardian, which suggested that a key factor for this age group was 'brands that made their lives easier'. I felt that the product I was creating and advertising campaign for does this, through the convenience of delivery and the use of an app to order food. My chosen tagline - 'On Time, Any Time, Every Time' - taps into this desire.

The article suggested that students, who account for over half of the UK youth population, contribute over £20 billion to the UK economy every year - making this an incredibly lucrative market. Whilst only a percentage of this is spent specifically on food and delivery services, this industry featured heavily in the article as an area where people aged 16-25 spend money.

The article also suggested that brands are keen to target this demographic as students and young people are the next generation of ABC1 consumers and if they become used to ordering food this way then it will become a trend they continue with in later life.


Further research I conducted suggested the importance of social media and digital technology to my target audience's age group. Food delivery services use apps, accessed via smartphones, tablets and laptops, to make the process of ordering food (and tracking its arrival) as easy as possible for the consumer. The article from Forbes reinforced the importance of this kind of technology for an audience of digital natives who have grown up used to the concept of on-demand.

This research benefited my project greatly and I have tried to ensure that my adverts appeal to this target audience in a number of ways:

  • the characters in the adverts are all within the target age
  • the adverts feature customers from both genders
  • the things that the characters are doing are typical pursuits that the target audience may engage in - such as playing video games, studying and sitting and watching sport with friends 

Below are links to some of the sites I used to help with my research into audience:

Comments

Popular Posts